So when I saw this tripod lamp at The Painted Hive, a blogger in Australia that I follow, I was hoooooked. Isn't hers gorgeous?!
|I swear I wasn't thinking consciously of her photo |
when staging my table o'books...definitely subconscious!
Thrift shopping being what it is here in Oklahoma (aka non-existent), I'd been unable to find a vintage music stand like hers. Soo in the end I ordered a $16.99 music stand from Amazon. It ended up not being exactly what I wanted - the shaft has a cap on the end which would make it hard to stick the cord through. So I went on Amazon to return it - and looky what happened:
!? Um, okay! Thanks! Crazy. If you can't see the image, it says that I would be refunded but didn't need to return the stand. What. Apparently Amazon really wants to have awesome customer service reviews?
So I decided to keep the stand and try to make it work! (I love doing projects that are basically free...I am somehow more bold to do exactly what I want with them. You know?) Then husband saw the stand, heard the story, and suggested I switch him for his old music stand, since the one I bought from Amazon was sturdier. Yay! So then I had a stand that would work better!
The first thing I did was pull off the leg-stopper so the legs could come closer together. Which doesn't make sense unless you have a stand just like this one, but here it is. I pried off the thing with some pliers. V. scientific (ugly):
|Gotta love the projects you can do 90% of while sitting on the couch. Watching Netflix.|
I also cut down the stand to be smaller with a hacksaw, because I wanted the scale of the 'tripod' part to be a bigger percentage of the whole lamp. I did it when I needed to work out some frustration, and it felt great! Haha. And was not hard, surprisingly.
|It was dark when I did this step...so...|
I'm sufficing this step with a stock image of a hacksaw.
I added a random adjustable-washer-like-thing that I had in order to keep the legs at the height I wanted, and then ORBed as usual! (That's spraypainted Oil Rubbed Bronze by Rustoleum, for the un-obsessed).
Then I had some additional fun with some acrylic metallic copper and antique metallic copper paints, to give more 'patina' to the finish. I brushed on little patches and wiped them partially off, to give it more burnished depth. I like the result, which is a bit subtle.
|I was pretty happy when I finally found this connector! Um, it's in the lighting section.|
Right next to the lamp head that I bought earlier.
For the cord I bought a 9' extension cord ($2.49), cut the extender end off, threaded through the shaft, separated the two wires and connected one to the + end of the lamp head one and one to the - end. It's about as easy as electronics gets, since the two wires are even interchangeable. Just be sure you don't plug in the cord while working on it. And make the connections nice and tight so you don't have stray bare wires anywhere. It's quite similar to hooking up an overhead light, and youtube probably has a ton of videos about it.
|The only other tool I used was a flathead screwdriver. |
And yes this combination is cheaper than buying a lamp kit - those were $10! What.
|$3.24. I mean, come on. Look at that perfect size.|
I love the Painted Hive original burlap shade, but our living room already has a lot of beige in it and I wanted to do something a bit more lively. I rummaged through my scraps and found a great burlap-y light blue fabric! It wasn't wide enough to go around with only one seam, but neither is my shade a drum shade that would do that nicely.
So I measured and sewed diagonal sides to fit the shade:
|The arrow is pointing at my little pencil line of where I should sew. |
I just hand-sewed since my machine's been acting up.
I ironed the top and bottom seams, and ironed the two side seams down to be as minimal as possible:
Then just turned the shade cover outside-right, fit it over the outside of the shade, and hot-glued inside the top and bottom to fix the shade cover to the shade.
And put the shade on the lamp, and....!
I love how it brings out the blue of Liz's sketch of our house and brightens up that corner. Now I think I need to make little moss balls and/or twine balls to add to the look. And possible refinish table. Hmm.
Project budget breakdown: music stand (free, but otherwise would be $16.99ish), shade ($3.24), lamp head ($4), connector ($2), extension cord ($2.49). Total with tax = $11.60!